search this blog

2.04.2012

glass etching


As a follow up to this post, I thought I would do a small tutorial on glass etching. I did a little bit of glass etching for our wedding...and since I had a big tub of Armour Etch sitting around, I figured it was time to etch a few more things.

_________________________________________________

Here is what you'll need:


1. anything glass
2. Armour Etch (I got mine at Micheal's with a 50% off coupon)
3. Stickers
4. blue painters tape
5. scissors
6. rubber gloves
7. foam brush
_________________________________________________


First, you'll want to make sure that you're glass item is clean. Hot water or glass cleaner will do the trick. 

Next, decide on a design. 
[If you plan to do a design, layer rows of painters tape together, overlapping a little, and draw 
your design on the tape. Cut out design with an exacto knife and apply to your glass]

I knew I wanted to etch the jar that I keep my buttons in so I did a simple word for my etching.
I wanted the actual letters to be etched onto my glass so I cut out each letter I needed.


Then I pealed and placed the "negative space" of the letters onto my jar. I didn't worry about lining them up perfectly... I bought wonky letters so that they could be a little off and still look cute.
I used 4 periods to create a little button with the "O"...



Now, it's time to apply the Armour Etch. 
While wearing your rubber gloves, follow the directions on the bottle. 

Basically, you dab on the goop with the foam brush 
(making sure to cover the entire area you want etched).


Let the goop sit for 5ish minutes, and then rinse it off entirely with water.
I have found that if you leave it on a little longer than directed, it turns out nicer. 
Here is what I was left with:


Then I filled my jar back up with buttons.
The picture make's it hard to see the etching but I like it. 
...and it makes me love buttons that much more...


Happy etching :)




1 comment:

  1. I think doing an etched glass is not just for wedding, actually it could be good for any occasions. Thanks for this blog!

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be answered/responded to by email. Please make sure your email address is linked up to your account so I can reply. Thanks for leaving me some love :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...